I don’t know if this is true everywhere in the US or only in The Big Apple, but three weeks ago, there were no mosquitos. And then, as if by some evil, overnight magic, mosquitos happened. But like… one trillion mosquitos happened. I spend one hour in the park as a complete human and leave as dinner leftovers; the mosquito version of picked-at chicken parmesan wrapped up in a tin foil swan. That’s me. I come home to my apartment – in which the windows are always closed – to find two mosquitos buzzing by my ears and haunting me like microscopic, vampire ghosts. HOW DID THEY GET IN THERE, THOUGH?! Evil magic.
Here’s the rub: I refuse to use commercial products that contain poisonous chemicals such as DEET. What’s the problem with DEET? Check out this disturbing nugget of science. Also, according to Green Your Body:
DEET has been linked to neurological problems; according to the EPA, at least 18 different cases of children suffering adverse neurological effects, as well as the deaths of two adults, have been associated with DEET. Researchers at Duke University Medical Center have found that DEET causes diffuse brain cell death and behavioral changes in rats.
DEET has been shown to have a negative impact on wildlife and water sources in production and during use. DEET is toxic to birds and aquatic life. DEET has been found in approximately 75 percent of U.S. water sources, including the Mississippi River.
Not cool, DEET. Not cool. Thank Zeus for essential oils. Extracted through careful steam distillation and cold pressing, the purest essential oils are astonishingly more potent and effective than dry herbs, delivering quick and effective results. Essential oils can be diffused, applied externally, or taken internally.
The following recipe takes only a few minutes to whip up, and it would beat DEET in a fight any day of the week. Not to mention, it doubles as perfume/cologne and has positive effects on psychological/emotional health. Yes, essential oils can do magical things to your brain!
Homemade & Healthy Insect Repellant Recipe
What you’ll need:
- 1 amber glass mist spray bottle (you choose the size!) *This is crucial because glass is safest for storing essential oils. Essential oils are known to eat away plastic, and the plastic can also substantially harm their effectiveness. The amber color is important because most essential oils (some more than others) are sensitive to light.
- 4 Tbsp distilled or boiled water
- 1.5 Tbsp astringent of your choice: witch hazel, rubbing alcohol, or raw apple cider vinegar
- 12-15 drops total of Young Living‘s* Purification Essential Oil Blend OR a homemade mixture of any/all of the following: citronella, lavender, clove, cinnamon, eucalyptus, peppermint, lemongrass.
Mix water, astringent, and combination of essential oils in the amber glass bottle and shake well. Apply evenly to skin and/or clothing. The more drops you use, the stronger the solution will be. Experiment as you wish. Store your repellant in a cool, dry place.
1) Be sure to use only therapeutic grade essential oils. Grade B or C oils can actually be harmful. I am a member of Young Living because it’s just the best and I like getting discounts on the best. I highly recommend Young Living because it is – based on my research – the purest, most trusted quality of essential oils in existence. Plus, their blends are outlandishly wonderful (like Purification!). For more information about getting the best essential oils at a discounted price via Young Living, see the asterisk below.
2) Do not use citrus-based essential oils (e.g. lemon, orange, etc.) in this recipe because such oils are highly photosensitive. Such oils can still be beneficial for warding off pests. Having essential oils IN your body is an effective addition to having them ON your body. How do you do this? Massage a few drops on the soles of your feet (dilution isn’t as necessary because the skin is very thick here).
3) If you have a serious health condition, check with your doctor if there are any essential oils you should avoid. For example, rosemary essential oil is a proven neurotoxin for those with epilepsy.
4) Use common sense. When applying to the skin, some essential oils require dilution and others are safely applied full strength. Always do some research and a skin patch test before you apply any oil to the skin directly. Learn more about dilution and usage here.
Enjoy living mosquito-bite-free!
You can purchase Young Living therapeutic-grade essential oils in one of two ways: as a Wholesale Member (best option) or Retail Customer via the Young Living website. I highly recommend buying Young Living essential oils by joining as a wholesale member because you get more for your money. Wholesale Members get a whopping 24% discount off every product that is offered FOREVER. Wholesale Members also have the option of becoming Independent Distributors, meaning they have the option of sharing the oils with friends and family to earn commissions and potentially win promotions for free oils. This is not a requirement, but the beauty of signing up as a wholesale member is that you would always have it as an option. And it is absolutely fine if you never end up distributing. As a Young Living Wholesale Member you only have to agree to order a minimum of $50 per year. Just signing up and purchasing your starter kit, completes your minimum requirement for the entire first year!
1. Visit the sign-up page.
2. Select “Sign Up As: Young Living Wholesale Member”
3. The “Enroller ID” and “Sponsor ID” boxes should already be auto-filled for you. (If for some reason it is not, enter 1427918 in both boxes)
4. Fill out your name, billing address, shipping address, and contact information. (You are asked for your social security number simply for tax purposes. As required by law, you receive a 1099 form in the mail if you end up making over $600/year selling Young Living products. This information is kept secure and never shared.)
5. Create your password and pin which will enable you to log in to your account and order your oils.
6. Select your enrollment order. This is where you can specify which starter kit you would like (The Premium Starter Kit is worth over $300, but as a Wholesale Member you get it for 50% off!). You must sign up with one of these kits to become a Wholesale Member. You can also add anything else you wish to your order at this time.
7. Set up your optional Essential Rewards Program. This is NOT a requirement to sign up as a Wholesale Member. You can skip this step by selecting “No, thank you. I plan on enrolling in the Essential Rewards Program later” in case you’d like to start earning money back to help pay for your oils at some point in the future.
8. Agree to Terms & Conditions.
9.Be sure to CONFIRM YOUR ORDER. If you don’t do this, you won’t get your oils!